Healthy Living: 13 Healthy Uses for Salt
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
- p_saranya / Getty Images
- Biophoto Associates / Science Source
- yacobchuk / Getty Images
- (Left to right) Lipowski / Thinkstock, -aniaostudio- / Thinkstock
- Harvinder Singh / Science Source
- cturtletrax / Getty Images
- klebercordeiro / Getty Images
- Manuel-F-O / Getty Images
- avemario / Thinkstock
- lzf / Getty Images
- Jacob Brown / Getty Images
- coffeekai / Getty Images
- Mayo Clinic: "Canker Sore," "Ingrown toenails," "Psoriasis," "Sodium Bicarbonate (Oral Route, Intravenous Route, Subcutaneous Route)," "Insect bites and stings: First aid," "Cold remedies: What works, what doesn't, what can't hurt," "Hives and angioedema," "Bedsores (pressure ulcers)."
- Cleveland Clinic: "Which Is Contagious: Your Canker Sore or Cold Sore?"
- American Academy of Dermatology: "Ingrown toenails," "Treating poison ivy: Ease the itch with tips from dermatologists."
- American Podiatric Medical Association: "What Are Ingrown Toenails?"
Journal of Clinical Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery: "Nasal irrigation with different concentrations of saline as an adjunctive treatment in allergic rhinitis: A systematic review and Meta-analysis."
Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism: "Scientific evidence of the therapeutic effects of dead sea treatments: a systematic review."
JAMA Dermatology: "Saline Spa Water or Combined Water and UV-B for Psoriasis vs Conventional UV-B. Lessons From the Salies de Béarn Randomized Study."
- National Psoriasis Foundation: "Herbal and Natural Remedies."
- U.S. National Library of Medicine: "Magnesium Sulfate," "How to care for pressure sores," "EPSOM SALT -- magnesium sulfate granule, for solution."
Nutrients: "Can Magnesium Enhance Exercise Performance?," "Myth or Reality -- Transdermal Magnesium?"
Indian Journal of Dental Research: "Sodium bicarbonate: A review and its uses in dentistry."
International Journal of Dermatology: "Bathing in a magnesium-rich Dead Sea salt solution improves skin barrier function, enhances skin hydration, and reduces inflammation in atopic dry skin."
- National Eczema Association: "Eczema and Bathing."
Sports Medicine: "The role of sodium in 'heat cramping.' "
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics: "Heat cramps."
The Journal of the American Dental Association: "Baking soda dentifrices and oral health," "Stain removal and whitening by baking soda dentifrice: A review of literature," "Baking soda as an abrasive in toothpastes."
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information:
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the MedicineNet Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.